St John The Baptist Church, Church View, Alkborough

The Anglican Parish Church in of Alkborough is dedicated to St. John The Baptist. A small monastic establishment is believed to have existed at Alkborough just prior to the Norman Conquest. The church tower is thought to be of Anglo-Saxon origin dating back to 1052. The church was restored in 1887 by John Oldrid Scot who built the chancel in the Early English Style but left the Georgian ceilings intact. He also built the wooden south porch which has a pattern of the local turf maze set into the floor. In front of the church can be seen the shaft of the churchyard cross which is very worn having for years been used as a sharpening stone.

The Tower is of typical Saxon design. The architecture of the Church shows there have been many changes to the building throughout its long history.

The font, although set on a modern base, dates back to Norman times.

The oak  Reredos behind the Altar was handmade by the famous Robert (Mouseman) Thompson (also known as Mousey Thompson) of Kilburn. His signature mouse can be seen on the right hand upright. The Reredos was placed in the church as a memorial in the early 1920s.

Under a capping stone set in the floor near the tower entrance, lies what is believed to be a stone of Romano-British origin.

The Vicar for the Church is:

The Revd Alison Frances PLEDGER
The Vicarage, Back Street
(01724) 721126


Lesley Roberts, 01724 721170

Susan May, 01724 720033

Key Holders:

John Ablott, 01724 720101, or either of the Churchwardens.

If you have any comments to make on this page or the web site as a whole please e-mail